Seeking Applications for 2017 Ford-Mozilla Open Web Fellowship
The Open Web Fellowship program empowers the next generation of open Internet leaders and advocates by embedding them at leading human rights and civil society organizations from around the world, where they can positively impact the health of the Internet and bring critical strategic expertise to the organization. Open Web Fellows are an amazing and diverse group. They are cryptographers, community organizers, educators and makers from around the world.
Majal is excited to announce that we are a new host organization for the 2017-18 cohort of the Open Web Fellowship.
About The Host Organization
Majal is dedicated to creating platforms that amplify underrepresented voices and helping to build communities that celebrate, protect, and promote diversity and social justice. With courage and innovation, Majal addresses issues that receive little or no attention: From the rights of invisible lower income migrant workers, to the stigmatized Middle East LGBTQ community, to those seeking to express dissent through music.
For this fellowship opportunity, we are looking for an experienced Rails developer to help us improve our various platforms – such as Ahwaa.org and Mideast Tunes. This person will work closely (and remotely) with the Majal team, including our UI/UX designers, to develop these platforms. Experience in both front and back end development is ideal.
– The Fellowships are designed to allow for flexibility for both Fellows and their families.
– The standard fellowship offers a stipend of $60,000 USD paid in 10 monthly installments. Fellows are responsible for remitting all applicable taxes and other government payments as required.
– To help offset cost of living, the fellowship also provides supplements for childcare and health insurance, and helps pay for research/equipment and books. The fellowships also covers the costs of required travel for fellowship activities.
– A stipend of $60,000 USD paid in 10 monthly installments.
– One-time health insurance supplement for Fellows and their families, ranging from $3,500 for single Fellows to $7,000 for a couple with two or more children.
– One-time childcare allotment of up to $6,000 for families with children.
– Allowance of up to $3,000 towards the purchase of laptop computer, digital cameras, recorders and computer software; fees for continuing studies or other courses, research fees or payments, to the extent such purchases and fees are related to the fellowship.
– All approved fellowship trips – domestic and international – are covered in full.
How to Apply
Please go here to fill out an application. Questions about the fellowship can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are due May 21st at 11:59pm PST or 3:59pm EST.